A lot has happened for the SDH screener project in the weeks since I last wrote. First off, Jennifer has joined our team! She has been integral in so many ways- translating our resources to Spanish, doing quantitative data analysis, conducting surveys and more. Over the weeks, we have been continuously editing our manuscript and have arrived at a draft that we feel confident about (of course, there will be many more edits to come). I have also been busy conducting the one-month follow calls as a part of the pilot study (explained above).
This involves contacting families to hear about their experiences with the referral process. I ask them about the usefulness of the information they received from Pediatrics Associates and their experience at the community based organization itself. If a family did not visit any of the organizations to which they were referred, then I ask the family about any barriers which precluded them from going.
More recently, we have been working on creating a program so that we can train college students as volunteers to screen patients. We are hoping to recruit two Barnard students to join our team this semester and screen patients. As such, we have been working on putting together training materials while standardizing our screening and referral process so that it will be understandable to new volunteers. We are very excited to have volunteers join our team soon!
We have also been working on a modification to submit to the IRB. We have learned a lot over the course of the summer and now we hope to integrate our edits into the serener and pilot study in order to make the newest versions the best they can be. Something that I have loved about working on the screener is its changing nature. It is a work in progress and intended to be amended over and over again until we reach an efficient, effective product.
The summer in Pediatrics Associates has been amazing! I learned so many new things and worked with amazing people. I am thrilled that I will be continuing in the clinic come September!